Camera Workshop Two- Coverage

On 18th October we had our second camera workshop on COVERAGE. We were taught about the power of using multiple shots and angles and the emotion that can be carried out by doing this. We were shown the importance of having enough coverage for each scene so that if a certain shot does not look right or does not work then there are other options but also because it gives more options in the editing process.


Project One- The Chair
We were given a project to film someone sitting on a chair, but in any way that we wanted them too, I tried to get lots of different shots from many angles and worked them out by using my phone camera to experiment with angles and then set up the camera with the ones that I was happy with; this helped me to save time as I thought some shots would look good and then when I took a picture with my phone of the shot the layout did not look right so I could change the layout of the chair and the actor and then set the camera up in position. Before filming anything though I mapped out with the actor what movements there will be so that I could work out what shots were needed rather than making it up as I go along; this workshop made me realise the importance of planning shots and set up before filming. After filming I reviewed all my shots to make sure that I had everything that I needed, then I edited together my chair video:
Looking back at it I can see that I should have taken a bit more time to focus every shot as there are a couple of shots such as when Sydney is sitting on the chair at the end that are a little soft and if every shot was in focus it would make it look a little more professional. I also wish that I would have added the music in time with the action, as it is not in time with Sydney moving the chair and it could have been placed perfectly in time to fit with the moment. Finally I wish that I would have filmed each shot for a little longer as during the edit I realised all my clips were quite short and this makes it look a little jarring in the final edit.

Project Two- Margin Call
The second project I worked on during this workshop was recreating a scene from 'Margin Call'. From this I learned the importance of filming the whole scene and editing later as some shots had different paces and it gives me more options when editing rather than struggling to put a project together if I had only filmed certain parts of each scene. I also struggled with the focus and keeping it for each shot with moving actors, but the more that I filmed the easier I found it. This was also a great opportunity to follow moving actors using the camera to pan and also using it hand held. Something else that I found challenging and realised while reviewing my clips was that the gain on the camera was really high, this gives off a very grainy effect, however the more that I use the cameras, the easier it will become to set them up correctly and the less mistakes I will make. 





Looking back at it I wish that I had not of broken the 180 degree rule however we had not had the workshop at this point on it so it's something to keep in mind for the future. I also wish that I had got some more close ups as I was very limited with the amount of shots that were not breaking the 180 degree rule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output