Editing Workshop One

Today was our first edit workshop with Fergus. He taught us the shortcuts of using Adobe Premiere Pro, and although I have used the software a few times in the past, it now seems completely different to me as I now know some of the basic shortcuts which will make editing in the future easier, quicker and it will allow me to go into a lot more detail when editing projects.

The Shortcut Keys that I used the most today were; 'K', 'J' and 'L.' These are stop, play forwards and play backwards. I also used the full stop and coma keys today which allowed me to overwrite and insert shots into the sequence. These were extremely useful as it meant that I did not have to use the mouse to edit majority of the very short film that I edited today:




I did make a few mistakes when editing this short video such as overwriting some frames a few times therefore I had to use the 'Cmd Z' to undo the mistakes I was making. It also took me time to understand the exportation process and that its really important that the size of the video files all match up however I made a note of these and they will become easier with more practice. 

We then experimented with colour and Keying with a scene of me standing in front of a green screen. It was fun to see the different colours that would could add to frames and also adding backgrounds as I have never done that before, however it really opened my eyes to the level of detail that editing requires with green screening when zooming the frame in by 400% I noticed the slight areas around my hair and jumper that would need to be colour corrected, so this was good to learn.





Something Fergus said that I had never considered before was that "editing is the final chance to make film mean something." This resinated with me and it's something that will be on my mind when editing in future as it really is another form of art. Finally we watched a short clip about editing and the importance of frames and I realised just how important every single frame is and dropping just one; or adding one, could have a major impact on the whole film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output