The Big Pitch- Feedback

On October 21st I pitched my idea to Steve, Simon and the rest of the first years. It was a great learning curve standing up in front of a group of people to present my idea, something that I found quite nerve-racking, however it is great experience for when working in the Television industry. I explained the main idea for my story and then Steve and Simon asked about sections that were a little unclear or that I had not explained fully. This helped me to work out which sections of my story I had not linked up, for example 'what is May doing in the park?' and 'Why is the mum distracted?' Steve and Simon asking questions helped me to clarify parts that I had not thought about which then enabled me to link the story up.

Steve then went through his '5 Golden Rules' and I had to tell them how they fit with my idea. For example with the 5th Golden Rule- 'moments' I told him that my main moment is when Tracy (May's mum) looks at her for the first time. Steve said this could be emphasised by not showing Tracy's character at all until this point, just her voice to show that she is at the park but her attention is elsewhere.


Then I jotted down some feedback pointers from Steve and Simon and decided the elements that I wanted to change about my idea. First of all I wanted to change the title. It was 'No Purple' and I had chose this because Purple represented things such as ambition, luxury and power, which were themes that were not possible in my story. However Steve pointed out that this does not directly portray my idea therefore I decided to change it; I made a list of many of the themes present in my story and then decided that 'Attention' was a good way to represented my story; due to the struggle for attention throughout. Simon told me that I had the potential to make my idea darker, by May not really being touched and making it up to get attention, and I really liked this idea as I can still use the bush for her to go into as it's mysterious and hidden and will leave the audience questioning what really happened until the end. Then Steve said that every character should have their own story and their own reasonings, so I decided to split my story into two, for the first half the audience will feel sorry for May and will only see her attempts to get her mums attention, some will be quite comedic such as her falling over on purpose to try and get her mum to look at her, but then she will say she has been touched. Tracy will then look up and the story will then be focussed on her and that the reason that she is not giving May attention is because she has a baby to look after. Splitting it into two and showing both characters points of view will enable the audience to create a fair opinion on the story.


Having the opportunity to pitch an idea and then receive feedback was very beneficial and I have already changed parts of my idea with the feedback I was given which has allowed me to create a stronger story idea, that I will keep developing with every piece of feedback that I continue to receive.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output