Camera Workshop Three- 180 Degrees and Single Frames


During this workshop we looked at two different areas; the 180 degree rule and storytelling with single frames to convey different feelings. 

180 Degree Rule
I did not know much about the 180 degree rule and what it meant, and when we went through it with Simon I realised the amount of factors that I had not previously considered, such as having an actor always screen left and the other always being screen right and this not changing otherwise the audience will be disorientated. This workshop made me realise that in the previous workshop (coverage) when we filmed the 'Margin Call' scene I had actually broke the 180 degree rule a few times and when editing it together it was very confusing, therefore this workshop was extremely useful for me and I now know the importance of not 'crossing the line.' Here is a short video that I filmed and edited together of me testing out different shots without breaking the 180 Degree Rule. Something that I found challenging was being on the right side of the actors when they entered/ exited the frame because if they were to the left of me then I would have been crossing the line, so this was something to consider for this project and for the future.




Storytelling With a Single Frame
For this section of the workshop we looked at different angles and shots with a single actor and how they can tell a story without the actor even moving. Simon showed us some examples and how we can use space in frames to portray different ideas such as fear and thought. For our project we were given a list of six characteristics; alone, power, fear, lost, happy and thoughtful. We had to film shots that conveyed these. I noticed during this workshop that I had got much better at focussing the camera as I had an extreme close up shot of Kerry that is completely focussed; something I struggled with in the pervious workshop. I experimented with different levels and angles to try and show the characteristics. For example with 'power' I started by having a low angle shot looking up at Kerry to portray her as powerful and so that the audience are looking up at her, however I then experimented even more and slightly tilted the camera to create a dutch shot and this created an even more powerful shot. However there were also some shots that I was not happy with; such as 'lost'. I wanted the shot to be out of focus and then pull the focus to her face, it was a good opportunity to try this but when editing I realised it did not work how I anticipated it would as it does not really convey her being lost, but this is something to learn from for the future.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output