Screenwriter Two

PHEOBE WALLER-BRIDGE




Pheobe Waller-Bridge is an actress, producer and writer. She is probably most famous for writing and starring in her comedy-drama Fleabag, and for being the executive producer of the thriller 'Killing Eve'. She has received multiple awards and nominations for her screenplays and 'Killing Eve' and 'Fleabag' were described by The Guardian as 'two of the greatest televison series of the 21st century'.


Her work

Personally Killing Eve and Fleabag are two of the best Tv series that I have ever seen. With 'Killing Eve' the contrast between the two main characters Eve and Villanelle is gripping as there is always a fight for power over each other along with their developing yet unlikely friendship and relationship.  Fleabag is extremely unique and before watching it I had not really seen anything like it before. 




How her work has developed

Waller- Bridge describes how she struggled to get into the writing for certain scenes of Fleabag. She explains how she did not write in order and something that challenged her was having to pretend she was talking to an invisible audience, however the more that she wrote the more "exciting", as she states, it became.

She states in an interview how Fleabag has "exploded from a personal private little story to now everyone talking about it", she explains how she was "hiding under a duvet for a year" whilst writing it and clearly the hard work all paid off. She is still aiming for more though as she describes that she wants to "up her game" for any future writing.

She covers many different topics and sometimes takes very serious subjects such as in 'Fleabag' her best friend dying or in 'Killing Eve' an assassin murdering multiple people but she presents them in a dark yet comedic way which makes the serious tones stand out more, this is something that I really like as it is simple yet effective and this happens more and more as her work has gone on.


Why did she interest me?


I chose to research Pheobe Waller Bridge as she is my favourite screenwriter. Her shows are all very different by they have some cross overs such as strong female leads, and as I only have female characters in my screenplay she definitely interested me. Waller- Bridge describes characters as "tragic real people putting on a front" and I thought that this linked to Tracy (the mum) in my screenplay as she is going through things that the audience and May are completely unaware of especially at the start of the story. Waller- Bridge stated in an interview that she "writes quite freely before thinking about structure." She explains how she finds this method exciting as she can then work backwards and I tried this concept for my ending when re drafting my script, by briefly outlining what I want to happen, then ending the scene in detail with how May and Tracy exit the park together. Then I went back to fill in the rest of the scene and added in the dialogue for the start of it so that it could lead up to them exiting at the end. This was useful and helped me build up the ending however it did make it harder to go back and start the scene as it limited ways I could write through the scene to reach the end. Therefore Waller- Bridge did have a big impact on my work, mainly because I really like her writing and wanted to follow some of her methods. 

Bibliography:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858912/
https://nfts.co.uk/blog/phoebe-waller-bridge-delights-students-fleabag-and-killing-eve-masterclass

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output