Short Film Review Three



WATCH WHAT I DO

Watch What I do was created by Million Youth Media in 2019. I was written by Shazia Rashid and directed by Teddy Nygh.





Reviewing Watch What I Do

When watching 'Watch What I Do' it was clear that it was a high quality production, due to the amount of locations used and the different costumes involved. At times I thought that there were too many locations used in twenty five minutes and the costume and makeup was a little over the top which sometimes distracted me from what was going on.  I did like the music used in the film it fit in well with the style so it did not seem out of place. The shots were also of all high quality and were all interesting in their own was which made me want to keep watching. 

How did Watch What I Do impact my work?

The first way 'Watch What I Do' influenced my work was with how the shots are focused. There are moments in it such as when main character Leila destroys her living room where the focus is on a broken cupboard and then it pulls to Leila in the background of the shot. This happened a few times throughout the film and was very effective as it shifted my attention between different objects or people in shot. This inspired me to create something similar in my extract, when May tells her mum that she "has been touched" the over the shoulder shot is focussed on the bush as Tracy approaches her and then switches to the side of May's face as she speaks. i feel it works well as there are two different things happening in the shot and it shows both of them through focus, therefore I am happy that I saw it being used in 'Watch What I Do'.

Something that I really enjoyed about the short film is that there are moments of montage, when main character Leila begins to panic; for example when a hoover is too loud in her bedroom or when her someone tries to fight her. These montages are built up through  use of audio with tense drone sounding music, then her screaming and then white noise. I wanted to try something similar so in my film when May screams I built it up through some dark sounding music, then cut this for a couple of frames and let just my buzz-track play (noises of the wind and rain) and then had the scream. Building it up like this made the moment more intense, and made the scream resonate more, just like Leilas panic in 'Watch What I Do'.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project evaluation

Test shoots

Workshop films/output